It's been a traumatic week for the Shephard family.

Evelyn is a wonderful helper and she loves to assist Mommy in pretty much everything...and I do mean EVERYTHING. Last week I was out in the garage unloading all the treasures I picked up at the commissary and Evelyn trotted out there to help. This was a particularly massive haul of groceries so I had taken out some glass soda bottles and placed them on the garage floor with the intent of later emptying and then recycling them - gotta take care of Mother Earth people.

BUT I never made it that far. It happened in a split second - a split SECOND. I closed the fridge door, accidentally bumping Evelyn's rear and she fell down on those stupid glass bottles, which broke under her weight and then BLOOD. Blood was EVERYWHERE. My poor little girl was screaming and all I could think of was stopping the massive amount of blood spouting from her tiny little thumb.

I am so thankful Jason was scheduled to fly that night - he was right inside the kitchen when all of this went down and together we packed up the girls and headed straight to the Emergency Room...where we waited...for TWO HOURS. Some drug addict - high on something - showed up with a fake injury so she could score some drugs. She became a danger when she began threatening the staff so the police had to come. It was lovely.

When we were finally seen the doctor and nurses had to strap Evelyn down to a board so she wouldn't move while they cleaned, accessed, x-rayed and eventually stitched up her wound. They put in a total of 10 stitches...TEN STITCHES in her teeny, tiny baby thumb. It was horrible. But Jason was incredible. He successfully distracted Evelyn with home movies on his iPhone and I don't know how he did it but when I looked over to him I didn't see one single ounce of fear, concern or sadness. All I saw was hope, happiness and the reassurance that everything was going to be fine. Evelyn is one blessed little girl to have that amazing man as her father.

A few days later, after some of the shock wore off I took these pictures of her baby thumb.


She was so brave - I know this really hurt.

"What's all this noise? All this crying? I'm just a little baby and I'm so sensitive."

"HA! I'm just playin' Mom! All this screaming and tension doesn't bother me a bit!" And it really doesn't. This child has nerves of steel.

Yesterday we had our follow-up appointment with an Orthopedic surgeon who said Evelyn's thumb is healing nicely (read: no need for a skin graft) and he doesn't seem to think they'll be any nerve damage! What a RELIEF! They told us to just keep the wound clean and a little Neosporin and a few Hello Kitty band-aids were all we needed!
Happy Days!

All smiles!

Especially since Daddy was putting something extra special together for Evelyn! Her very first BIKE!

This is me asking Jason to smile for the camera.

This is me taking an "action shot." Look at that focus and determination!

And this is Jason being a dirty old man.

Evelyn was able to keep Daddy on track and even helped him with a few tricky steps.

It was tiring work and there were a few much needed drink breaks.

"Thumb up for Daddy!"

Meanwhile...back in the jumperoo..

I think she was a little concerned about when she was going to ride in the bike. Yes. It's already started.

SUCCESS!!!

Time to take the bike for a test drive.

I think she likes it. Pretty baby.

While I was clicking away I caught a few of these tender moments.



SO SWEET! I LOVE THIS MAN!

Then Jason offered to return the favor and snapped a few of me and Aurelia. I know...not the best looking hair-do...but you can look past it since I'm holding a pretty adorable baby!





BYE!
1 Response
  1. How scary. Glad she is doing well!